View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogibooo View Post
thanks again for the feedback, now you are scaring me the fact that you wouldn't want to chance driving it without any warranty :O Anymore feedbacks from others? I'm really ok with minor problems, like a/c, lights, radio, etc.. What I don't want to have or common to have is problems with engine not able to start - things of that nature.

Again, your inputs are very valuable, please keep them coming!
thanks!!
We had an '05 Lexus RX330 prior to picking up our '09 ML 320 Bluetec. We also had an '03 X5 4.4 for several months that had been in the family for it's lifespan. It had a small oil leak that BMW was quoting roughly $4000 to fix (valve cover gasket leak $1800; some valve that was plugged $1700; and coolant pan leak...I just assumed it would be at least $500). I sold it 4 days later. Like others have said I would have zero interest in owning any German vehicle outside of warranty.

My father's previous '01 X5 was one of the biggest pos that he has ever owned. He had it into the shop 20 times in 18 months. Anything and everything went wrong with that vehicle.

Our RX was pretty much bulletproof although it had 2 small issues that were both covered under warranty in the 4 years that we owned it. (loose panel over the gas tank and a faulty CD player).

Our 8 month old ML has been a pita to this point. There have been zero issues that affected driveability, but they have been more than annoying. We have had 4 CEL's; a broken wiper blade; a window seal that came down with the window; a driver's side window that doesn't operate correctly. All of the CEL's have been tied to the Bluetec and have ranged from bad sensors to a frozen Adblue pump. Mercedes has developed new software to deal with the Bluetec issues that will be installed next week.

Our decision to pass on another RX had everything to do with a bad dealer that we weren't interested in doing business with and nothing to do with the new vehicle. The RX certainly doesn't handle like an X5 but it does many things as well if not better for a fraction of the price. I'd suggest the RX is the most luxurious/comfortable out of this group.

The ML is right in between the RX and X5. It handles better than the Lexus but not as well as the X5. It also fits in between the two for comfort as well.

Our decision to go with the new X5 35d is more of a test to see how reliable a current model BMW is and what the local dealership is like to work with. I ideally want the new F10 M5 in a couple but am not willing to spend that kind of money on a vehicle if the reliablity is still an issue....regardless of how well it drives.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey