View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35i SA + various
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlebaron View Post
The service manager at Rasmussen explained that the cleaning of the sunroof drain tubes is not a maintenance item, and that cleaning the tubes is the owners responsibility....(WTF). I explained there are many other owners of my exact car having the same issue and there are many service bulletins available discussing issues with the drain system in the bmw. The service advisor explained these SB are to fix other issues and are not related to my issue.
We really need to get a class action suit going. My dealer told me that the drains are not cleanable by the owner (requires removing headliner).

Also, no mention of this is made in the owner's manual. My assumption was if I keep my car reasonably clean, with air in the tires etc. that BMW would take care of the rest.

This isn't like we drove the cars into a flooded river and want them to cover the damage.

They clearly have a design flaw that:
1) have poor sunroof cassette drainage that blocks easily (I have other cars with sunroofs covered in more tree crap and dust and mud that have had no issues)
2) have a drainage system that when it overflows (or when the trunk seal fails on the sedan, which it seems to a lot- see other threads) invisibly directs the water to a closed compartment containing the most expensive electronics in the car, which in turn has no drain
3) the owner has no way of easily cleaning the drains, hasn't been told by BMW that they have to do that, nor has any way to detect they need cleaning or that a leak may be occurring

I will never buy another BMW because of their stance on this issue. (they also tried to screw me on the cabin filter change interval)

I am continually amazed how poor the customer service ethic is on the premium luxury brands; I've owned Subarus for over 10 years and them taking the same stance on something like this would be unthinkable. BMW's policy seems to be "blame the customer, if that doesn't work do a one-off good will repair".