View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
i'm new and going to start to ride (recomend me a starter bike thread)

damn, that was a long title. but any ways i have notice that a lot of folks are new riders, just finished courses, got the legal stuff out of the way and now need a ride. so maybe those of us who have been ridding for a while can recomend something with the new guy/girl without becoming road rash. i know, i know, there riding it might happen, but not let us help them to quick. and maybe this can be the offical thread, with a newwwb, making a new post.
so your new, you need some wheels to get that i'm free as a bird feeling, and yes that's what it feels like.
some rules........
1---no matter what is recomended, please sit on the bike, and see how comfy it feels, can you put your feet completely on the ground, put your feet on the pegs, doe's it feel right, hold it up, is it too heavy, trust me, i've droped my 500 in the yard, and it is the heaviest thing to get up when full of gas.
2--most likely you'll drop it, do i want to drop a 6-10k bike, or a 3k or less? yes it doe's happen, something as simple as forgeting to put the kickstand down will do it. or some ass that's admireing your bike a little too close. plus, anything over a certian amount will need full coverage, and it doesn't take much to total one.
3--no matter how good you look, step back and think about it again. the bigger and badder the bike, imo, for a new ridder will take a long time to accutally enjoy it, therefore will make you do stupid things. i've been ridding for 2 years, and the little 500 is peppy, and i've done fullish things, but i feel comfy on, and know it's limits, however my father has been ridding 4 years, bought a used cop service bike(dc.), he's droped 5 time, broke his ribs, sprined his wrist, sholder, and hurt his leg. bike's been in the shop 5 times, and it still has issue's. the difference, i went with a smaller bike to start with, and starting to enjoy putting on my personal touches to it. he went with a big harley, becuase of the image, and his sits in the drive way with oil leaks, and electrical problems.
4--no matter what you buy used or new, when time comes to sell the starter, don't expect the resale to be high, even if it's in prestine condition, and if you buy from a dealer, check the warranty, i've found that even if you get new, the warranty can be anywhere from 1-3 years, even if you fiance a 5 year plan.
5--what ever you get or lookin at, try to find a forum for that bike, you'll will be surprised at all the usefull info. on that model, ex..what kind of mods can be made, problems, and may find some local ridden partners.

so what should i get.
depends what do you want, a sport/street bike, cruiser, dual type(this is a dirt bike that is street legal, drive to work, blow off steam on the way home type of bike) some of the nicer euro type of bikes.
so fellow fester put in.

i recomend a ninja500, it has 6speeds, i've gotten as high as 250 mile on a tank, and i've hit 110, on a very open and straight highway. i'm 5'11" at 205 pounds. dislikes, my hand gets a little numb after a while, but you don't sit completely down, nor all the way up. 50/50
now i know there are others out there(brand wise) a 250 is nice for a woman, of course i've seem women ride a zx10,. the new ninja250's now look like a smaller version of the ninja 600, they also have 6speed, and i belive are fuel injected, and have recieved good reviews.

but that's where my knowledge stops, a 600 could be a nice starter too.
these bikes i know you can get for under 3k, and also a side not, the ninja500 will cease to be made this year due to emmission laws, cali. hasn't seen a new one in 5 years. so depend in on where you live, a used is most likely, you can get an 08- or 09 new, at some dealers, but they will ask for full price, you may be able to talk them down.
WELL, GOOD LUCK, AND ENJOY RIDEN, IT'S ALWAYS MORE FUN WITH BUDDIES.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:

Last edited by lild; 01-15-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Advertisement