View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrink1 View Post
Well, I just got back from the dealer. They had to put in 2.5 gallons of fluid in. Which I guess is about the capacity of the heated tank. They didn't find any leaks. The service manager said the fluid in the other tank was congealed because of the cold weather so it didn't transfer. Since I bought this car on 11/28 the temperature has not been above freezing so this makes me a little concerned about winter driving with this car even though it is parked in a garage. I only have 2100 miles on it. .....
Some things are not adding up.

2.5 gals is the capacity of the active (heated) tank. So to require the full 2.5 gals, would mean the Active DEF tank was completely EMPTY when you arrived at the dealer. IOW you coasted in Using a full 2.5 gals of DEF in only 2,100 miles is not very likely since that would imply that the 6.5 gals of DEF in both tanks would only last about 5,500 miles.

Here is some info gleaned from a presentation made by BMW at the ACEA SCR meeting in Feb of 2007.
"* As only the active-tank is heated, the passive-tank could be constantly frozen, if this occurs during a longer period, customer would have to refill the active tank, otherwise the warning system including the driver inducement would be activated.

* Even at long periods below -11C the heating concept consistently secures the UREA injection. The disadvantage is, that the customer could be forced to refill UREA in intervals of approx. 6.000 km."
When you combine the above info, with the diagram of the Urea Warning System in the attached pic, it is much more likely that your dealer OPENED a 2.5 gal DEF container but only USED part of it to top up the Active Tank.

BTW BMW sells DEF in two containers. One is about 1 gal (IIRC) and is designed for use by owners; it has a special lid that screws onto the DEF filler to eliminate spills and over filling. The other is a 2.5 gal jug.

Funf Dreisig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UREA Warning System.png
Views:	276
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	215345  

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 01-18-2010 at 02:15 PM.