View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublulgc View Post
Hi all,

New to BMW, my wife and I will soon be done with grad school and moving to Chicago. We've been looking for a 2005 X3, 50-60K miles, but still pretty new to the car - any big issues I should be looking out for? I've gone through several threads, and a red flag is the stiff ride, especially on Chicago's poorly maintained roads.

Any other tips/advice is appreciated! TIA
Since sunroof and door leaks seem to be on people's minds, I would get a big flashlight and check the bolts under the seats. With extreme leaking, people say they rust.

I would find a decently maintained road and drive it a few times in your own car, try the X3 and then try (if you are at a dealer) a 328 which is what it is based on. I would then go to a Lexus dealership and try an RX which probably has the most marshmallow ride of the bunch. If you can't tell the difference when driving the same road in a number of different cars then maybe it doesn't matter to you or maybe you even prefer a harsh ride....some do...you never know.

I do think that more passengers in the car makes the car less bouncy so I would drive it alone if possible.

Good luck. CPO?