View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
We had this happen in December in our ML. It got down to -40 and we were told the pump froze. Hopefully we don't have the same problem in our X5.
Did you need to "top up" the fluid on your ML? Or did your ML DEF tank unfreeze and allow the DEF system to 'release' the warning on it's own?

FWIW the BMW documents on the web seem to assume that when 35d owners see the '1,000 miles to shut down' message they will not panic.

IOW BMW seems to think that 35d owners will....
1 - trust that their DEF system was filled and is working properly,
2 - understand that the DEF system requires the vehicle be stored and operated ABOVE -11c long enough to thaw the passive tank and allow it to transfer DEF to the smaller heated active tank,
3 - that 35d owners have quick and easy access to their dealer and/or at least one "owner approved bottle" of warm DEF in case it stays cold too long.

Based on the posts on this forum (and others) this sounds like a very big ask of new 35d owners. Particularly since we have pretty good evidence that several 35d DEF systems have not been filled properly and/or are not working properly.

FWIW if I lived where my 35d was stored for very long and/or operated very often, below -11c, I'd have a warm "owner approved bottle" of DEF at my house. It would be a lot less hassle than putting up with the BS others have been told by their dealer.

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 01-21-2010 at 07:08 AM.