View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
Although I do agree that dealers will be more sparse (they already are) as a result of online shopping, the ability to test-drive a vehicle, and have warranty work done, are both strong reasons dealers will always be around with at least SOME vehicles on the lot, for better or for worse, from a consumer standpoint.
I think we're saying the same thing. Ever been to an Apple store? They have plenty of models on the floor to "test drive". But when you buy, particularly if you want any customization, you order it and it's shipped to you. The Apple store is *Apple*, not some third party. With BMW dealers, you're not dealing with BMW North America, you're dealing with some local business owner whose quality varies greatly. That's the key. The dealership model introduces a middle man over which the OEM has little control.

As for warranty work, this is a question of insurance. BMW could "certify" multiple repair shops to do warranty work. You bring your car where you want to, and they submit to BMW for reimbursement. It's just like healthcare: I pick my doctor, and my doctor bills my insurance company. In this case, I pick my mechanic, and my mechanic bills BMW. There's no reason that sales and service need to be bundled at the same location.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 01-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.