View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAbbs325is View Post
Does anyone on here use Amsoil? I use Full synth euro formula 10w 40 in the summer... Am I right to use this oil?
Yes indeed! The two synthetic oils with the longest history of development are Amsoil (dates to shortly after the Korean war) and Mobil 1. Both are excellent. Redline is another outstanding synthetic (possibly the best, and more expensive than either Amsoil or Mobil 1) which has been around longer than Royal Purple.

I figure that going with one of the oils which has the longest history of research and development makes a lot of sense; I have used Amsoil and Mobil 1 since 1977 with no problems.

Personally, having done a lot of research, my preference is for Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Redline...but Mobil 1 is the least expensive and most readily available, since it is carried by mass marketers like Wally World. I have dissected a number of filters and examined them, and as a result consider Amsoil filters to be the very best, but that's another argument.

I don't understand why people are confused about what weight oil to run. RTFM...or just check the chart that was so kindly included in the original post in this thread. That is really all you need to know. People obsess over motor oil MUCH too much. It's just oil, and all major brand modern motor oils are excellent. Use synthetic, keep it clean, change it at appropriate intervals and don't worry about it.

Last edited by Pilgrim; 01-24-2010 at 01:47 PM.