View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Thumbs up Windshield Cowling & L/H wiper nut removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveho View Post
If you've replaced the windshield cover already, you've done about 1/2 the job; check out your lower flashing and you'll likely see some major cracking issues too.

Also, remove your engine cover and see what's left of your cowl--the burning rubber you smell when you turn on your air is likely caused by the deterioaration of this rubber cover which encapsulates the air ducts from your engine compartment leading too your cabin.

For e39 540i:

cowl part #: 51 718 157 446 ($32)
cowl flashing/lower windshield strip part #: 51 718 159 292 ($72)

tools needed: screwdriver (for prying); 13mm socket; 15mm socket; phillips head; rubber mallet and some tool (for removal of the driver's side wiper control arm).

The tools are for the flashing and wiper arm removal; no tools are necessary for the cowl replacement.

Here are some pics of the compartment where the cowl should be, but in serious disrepair and mostly missing. Compare this pic to the "after" pic of the engine compartment below! Also, I'm pointing to the remaining portion of the cowl in one pic. And in another pic are the new cowl and the stuff I pulled out of the compartment that WAS the old cowl:
That natsy windshield wiper arm nut on the drivers side is very easy to remove. NAPA is probably the ONLY tool store that carries the right size puller. Photo shows a 4 pc gear puller set, but only the smallest puller is needed. I used a 3" gear puller due to working space restrictions with hood installed. A rubber mallet was not used... only the gear puller to remove the nut and then cleaned off the spline nut post prior to reinstalling the nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 pc gear puller.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	217261