View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelahti View Post
This looks like a promising modification. The chime is a nuisance and there should be a way to disable it via on-board adjustments. On two previous vehicles (Ford products) I had, you could locate the part that was bleeping, simply unplug it and consign it to the trash.

Does this improvement work on 2008 X3's? Will this modification produce any check lights?
Should work on all X3s. The instrument cluster part # has changed, but the previous versions have ended, and been replaced with current generation ones:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=62&fg=05

No lights out at all on my car. The seat belt light stays on just like it would before if you aren't wearing your seat belt... only without the annoying chime. This is as simple as simply unplugging the speaker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Well, you might be surprised at who would be asking why the chime is disabled. I suspect any dealer would have to reconnect things as a safety feature, before reselling the car. There may also be an insurance issue with the buying party's company for a private sale. Not to mention any state DMV issues that may or may not be affected. While its your car you can pretty much do what you want to it (broadly speaking) but when you are transferring it to another party it becomes another story, especially a dealer as a trade in. I know that if I was buying a car that had safety features (however useful) disabled I would want everything put back together to insure against potential liability issues. Good luck in any event!
I saved the speaker... If I ever sell / trade-in the car I will solder it back to the cluster and return to original condition... Its like any other modification done to the car (like my Euro mirror glass)--back to stock when selling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenza View Post
Sna77, great idea. Luckily my 2007 does not beep nor chime because of the seatbelt.

Cheers!
The chime is deactivated by default in the rest of the world. Only sure happy USA gets the chime turned on by default. I watched the tech as he tried to disable the chime via the Autologic--there is definitely a button to turn it on an off. He contacted Autologic after attempting to disable the chime via software coding did not actually disable the chime. Apparently USA spec cars had something in place that renders BMW's coding ineffective.