The P0500 vehicle speed sensor failure was bogus!
Update: The P0500 vehicle speed sensor failure was bogus!
Here are the original and latest California smog test results.
Notice I did NOTHING except clear the codes and drive the E39.
Well, one other thing, I put in 91 AKI (instead of 87 AKI) but all that did was make the smog results slightly worse but probably not statistically so.
Here's what seems to have happened:
- I removed my ABS control unit from my E39 ...
This throws a visible SES and a P05000 vehicle sensor malfunction
- I put the rebuilt ABS control unit back on my E39 ...
This doesn't initially change the visible SES and the P05000 malfunction
- I drove for 3 or more starts (about 50 miles) ...
This erases the visible SES but not the P0500 (and an invisible MIL)
- Mechanic erased the codes (You can't pass Ca smog with any erased codes!)
This erases the P0500 but not the invisible MIL
- Drive for 1 or 2 tanks to replenish the data banks for smog to pass
Now you can pass the California smog inspection (even with the invisible MIL which the smog test showed but didn't flunk because there was no corresponding code associated with it, I guess)
Last edited by bluebee; 02-17-2010 at 07:23 AM.