View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious View Post
1. So why not use RTV alone instead of the roofing caulk?

2. Did you say NOT to use any RTV around the actual housing? I'm sure in a perfect world that might work but the fact is that the gasket failed..... so it needs some help imho.... same as the thermostat housing gasket which fails as well and is of the same type and design...CANNOT see how it would hurt to seal both sides of the gasket itself and the outer edge of the housing.....

#1. I was just being an*l/paranoid by using roofing caulk...LOL. I used both roofing caulk (because that stuff hardens up when cured) and RTV sealant, but I guess you can use RTV sealant ALONE.

#2. I started a thread on "Oil Filter HOUSING: Additional Blue RTV Sealant?" here FYI. The concensus is no need for RTV. However, if you carefully apply a very thin bead as shown in Blue, you may be OK. If you do so, then read the RTV package instruction, apply the seal as shwon in BLUE, then let it sit alone for 1-2h until it feels like rubber, then install the Housing back in the engine.
You may want to post a F/U info in this thread whether your technique works or not:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...rtv+additional

My 2 cents: Nothing lasts forever, most car mfg rubber gaskets fail around 80-100K miles anyway. If the OEM gasket lasts 80K miles, then it is fine, if I keep the car another 80K, then I will redo the gasket then.