View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Black 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
#1. I was just being an*l/paranoid by using roofing caulk...LOL. I used both roofing caulk (because that stuff hardens up when cured) and RTV sealant, but I guess you can use RTV sealant ALONE.

#2. I started a thread on "Oil Filter HOUSING: Additional Blue RTV Sealant?" here FYI. The concensus is no need for RTV. However, if you carefully apply a very thin bead as shown in Blue, you may be OK. If you do so, then read the RTV package instruction, apply the seal as shwon in BLUE, then let it sit alone for 1-2h until it feels like rubber, then install the Housing back in the engine.
You may want to post a F/U info in this thread whether your technique works or not:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...rtv+additional

My 2 cents: Nothing lasts forever, most car mfg rubber gaskets fail around 80-100K miles anyway. If the OEM gasket lasts 80K miles, then it is fine, if I keep the car another 80K, then I will redo the gasket then.
Right on... will do. I tried and tried to get the thermostat housing to seal with the gasket alone. Granted we are dealing with much higher pressures, but it wouldn't work.

I ended up putting a bead similar in location to your blue line but also one below and on top of the gasket itself.... just enough to cover it when squished. Then I tightened it down until I could see the RTV and stopped, waited 2-3 hours and then torqued it down. Worked wonderfully even thought he housing is aluminum and supposed to leak easily.

I'll take some pics here in a couple weekends and let you know how it goes..... maybe post them in both threads...

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by atrovarious; 02-25-2010 at 04:06 PM.