View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesoffen View Post
BMW USA - if you're listening, you better keep the future 3er/5er wagons on the showroom floor and available with a manual trans or I'm jumping ship. No the GTs don't count nor do the steptronic or DSG options count as a manual transmission (it has to have 3 pedals!).
Based on the rumors I've heard and changes in technological directions, think you're going to be disappointed. BMW just does not sell enough wagons/tourings to make a profit on it. It costs $$$Millions to get each body/engine/trans combo certified for sale in the US. When touring sales are in quantities of hundreds per year, and not thousands, it's just not profitable. Have to see on the GT what kind of sales that will generate. Think it's one of those you either love or hate designs.

In regards to transmission. In the past there were multiple advantages of the manual trans including performance and fuel economy. Well the performance an fuel economy advantages are gone and we are left with only "driver experience" and some amount of better reliability. Again with the cost to certify each engine/trans combo, slipping manual sales all the time, and reduced advantages, I predect we will eventually (can't say if in 5 years or 25 years) see the 3rd pedal dissapear.

Now we are noting each time we use our 540iT as a cargo carrier and how often are we doing someting with it a sedan with folding seats could not.