View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Though your description is minimal, battery replacement is not a complicated matter, particularly if the indie shop specializes in BMW's. I'm skeptical of the dealer in this matter. It obviously ran after the indy shop did the job, and why it should suddenly fail a few days later doesn't make much sense in the context of a new battery.

First, ask the dealer for copies of their diagnostic printouts (you paid for them, after all, if they actually did more that throw an opinion at you and actually electronically diagnosed the problem). Confirm that the problem can be directly related to the "cause" they proposed. Ask them to be specific on how the repair relates to the problem, and why it costs what they propose. Tell them to support the exact fix they propose, and why. Have them step you through it. Ask to talk to the person who did the diagnostic, and have that person step through it. If they refuse any of this entirely reasonable process, you can be concerned you're being scammed. Follow if a, then b, then c process with them. Wrong battery? Why? Bad install? Why?

If the problem can be clearly related to a battery replacement problem, talk to the indy shop about it regarding a fix. If it's a real indy shop, and not a corner garage that hangs a BMW sign out front next to their Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lamborghini (and Tesla....) souvenir signs, they'll be interested in keeping your business. Of course, if they really know nothing, the battery could be spec'd for a '04 Chrysler or some such.

Also, view this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=316981 There are reasons for dead battery probs. Not clear if it relates.

Good luck.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 02-28-2010 at 09:19 AM.