View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberuk View Post
I fitted the wind deflector yesterday and thought i would share a few things. firstly bmw part numbers mean the dealer tries to give you the 2 front black roll over covers. you dont need these, its the back silver ones you need that have the holes in. my dealer gave me a good discount and a bit extra because of the mistake, so dont be afraid to ask 220 all in including the roll covers.

fitting is easy, dont waste your money letting the dealer do it but the only hard part is taking off the old covers. there are no screws just stand behind the car with the roof down, grab one of the bottom legs of the silver cover and pull it backwards with your finger tips. it will slowly, and be patient, loosen as the plastic balls slide out of rubber holes. move round the cover prising each part off. try not to use tools but i found a bit that wouldnt budge and used a plastic windscreen ice scraper to push the silver bit away from the black and within 10 mins they both came off with no damage to either black or silver side. honestly it is easy, just take your time and dont get angry with it.

make sure you get the inner meshs in the right cover, they are marked R & L on the tags and they fix snuggly behind small square plastic clips. the new roll covers then push into place, make sure the holes are on the inside for where the deflector will go. the clip sections then screw into the holes (these are also marked R&L and the slide on bit for the deflector should be at the rear) the screws need an odd style driver but i found i had one with my drill.

with few practical skills I did it in 20 mins but just be gentle, take your time and make sure you get the left and rights correct. finally once on it is miles better than without even on a very quick test (well it is feb in england) and if you havent ordered your Z4 yet make sure you get it when you buy as it will be cheaper and save you having to do all this
Thanks for this update. I have all the parts sitting at my home waiting for my car. I did not buy new black front covers and feel better about it now. I was going to use a putty knife as a brace and use a screwdriver to pry the covers apart but will try using just my hands to see if I can get them to separate. As far as the R and L, I assume Left is the driver's side for those of us in America. Is this correct? Thanks again for you post.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg