View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Ok, I think I've convinced myself to not replace the CCV, but only the bottom hose going to the dipstick tube. Follow my logic here...

1) Researching the various forums, it would seem that colder weather makes the 'mayonaise' issue much worse. This car (prior to me owning it) was registered in TN or GA. Not too many days below freezing really.

2) By partially following the M54 CCV DIY, I managed to remove the dipstick tube w/ lower hose, and the upper hose that connect from the CCV to the front of the valve cover. (Sorry, couldn't find the right diagram on realoem.) Both hoses looked good, and the bottom of the dipstick tube looked good as well. From what I could see inside the CCV (still installed), it looked reasonably clean for 129K miles.

3) I'm not experiencing any of the typical symptoms normally attributed to the CCV. (Although I have no reference for oil consumption since I haven't owned it long enough.)

I'm thinking I'll just replace the rubber hose that connects the CCV to the dipstick tube since it felt a little spongey in a couple of places. I'm assuming I can remove the outer shield and the 90deg connector, and just replace the actual rubber hose portion. (...and then get back to the original task of re-assembling the Oil Filter Housing. )

Am I missing anything here? If none of the plumbing is anywhere near being clogged, and the engine runs fine (at least before I took it apart ), can I assume the CCV itself is in good shape?