View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1987 535is
Thanks South26

Andy,

My mechanic has found a very confident body/restoration man. Two different layers of metal will be replaced in the process. It is stated that it will be much stronger than new.

It is the perfect time to replace the the tender cat-back exhaust with a new SS Ireland Engineering system, as it has to be pulled off anyway, in order to remove the sub-frame. The old system will probably fall apart coming off. It was just starting to make some nice sounds.

The 23 yr old fluid lines, fuel and brake, will be ideally accessible, so those are getting replaced as well. I am trying to imagine where all the money is coming from.

I am also having the mechanic check out the differential clutch assemblies while the subframe is on the bench. They were acting funny. I hope it was simply related to the bushing problem and the variable twist of the loose subframe. Crossed fingers.

I will pass your sheet metal offer on to the shop guys and also put your e-mail in the old 535is file.

Do you by any chance have an interior, driver's side, door post trim? Mine kept snagging on my Carhart jacket and is falling apart. It had a snag on it before I got it. I tried to repair it a couple of times. Once that vinyl comes unstretched on the substrate, there is no getting the genie back in the bottle.

Quote me a price on that trim piece, anybody, at ramelloh@sover.net.

Otherwise, all this ride needs is a little yearly paint and body work. Even the original radio/tape player still works. Front seats are still whole. Winters are hard on it here in New Hampshire, but it's a daily use vehicle on dirt, back roads, a hoot to drift in the snow and ice.

Regards,

Rick