View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
BavarianSoundworks has some highly regarded component speakers but they are a bit pricey. Your front door woofers are 5.25" You can replace the woofer and the tweeters with any reputable (Infinity, Boston Acoustics, etc.) 5.25" component set (~$200). Leave the midranges. The DIY is on YouTube. Search e39 speaker installation. This is a fairly significant noticeable improvement in clarity and definition.
The rear deck speakers (assuming you do not have the DSP) are basic 5.25". I found that replacing the rear deck speakers with higher quality coaxials made little noticeable difference in sound quality. I would guess the same goes for the rear doors although I haven't tried that yet. Note: the rear deck also has a depth limitation, limiting your speaker choice.
A subwoofer is really needed to round out the low end. However, most subs (Basslink et al) require a good amount of trunk space, which compromises cargo capacity (for golf clubs). You may also need to port into the main cabin to get maximum effect. I installed an rear armrest subwoofer (Blaupunkt Thb-200A) because I don't need thumping bass, wanted something hidden & removeable and didn't want to modify the car. About $200 installed. It hides behind the flap. Works fine for this old Deadhead. My DIY:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=279416
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Armrest 001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	224052