View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Vert
I pray someone else reads this before starting out on the rockets you people are advising. I'm 53 and have been on motos my whole life. Started out on a Briggs mini-bike. Currently in the stable are a Lawson 1000R, '82 GPZ 1100, '01 Ninja 250 (Daughter's), '05 CBR 6RR (Son's) and numerous dirt bikes. My son's and daughter's Dojo is a 5th Degree Black Belt, 29 years old, drives an RX8 (sweet) and is a very coordinated and athletic individual. He decided he wanted to get a bike. He asked advise. Then he asked to ride the 250. I thought...sure. I schooled him a bit and put him on it on a slight downhill grade and said just to slide the clutch easy and stay in first gear for the short piece of road. He popped the clutch, panicked, grabbed the front brake while holding the throttle and gassed it. He held the brade for all it was worth and with the back wheel burning out due to the throttle position I was able to hit the kill switch before he jetted straight into the neighbor's house. My advise to you? Get a used dirt bike and learn to ride before you go scraping up the pavement. A 250 Ninja in the hands of a kneedragger will school the burnout crowd on litre' bikes in the twisties. The 250 is a 14grand screamer and will turn on a dime. Don't discount a little Ninja. And don't ride it on the interstate either. Learn in the dirt...keep your feet in the street.