View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/2007 Z4 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Hi

I found a good deal on Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires. Delivered for $540.00, 4 tires, 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 includes $50.00 rebate. They also have a free road hazard warranty. Purchased from Gripston Tires on line. My question is what air pressure should I use? Stock run flats are 33 psi front and 39 psi rear.

Don L
I swapped out my run-flats for these tires last fall and love them and I also got a $50 rebate with mine and my net price was exactly the same as yours. So far, they have been a great tire. The biggest question I had though was not whether to ditch the run-flats but what size should I get. The Z4M uses a slightly taller tire for some reason than the 3.0si. The width is the same and both are 18" but the M uses 45 and 40 series while the 3.0si uses 40 and 35 series. Since the M tires are non run flat tires, I decided to get the M sizes. I knew being a slightly taller tire that it would have a small effect on the speedometer reading. As it turns out, the change effectively eliminated my speedometer error. Prior to the change, I had a 3-5% higher reading on my speedometer than my actual speed. Now it is dead-on accurate.

The other reason I went for the taller size is that the stock 3.0si tire has a very short sidewall and since the stock tire is a run-flat whose sidewall is very stiff, the likelihood of damaging the rims is minimized. However with standard tires, I wanted a little more cushion in the sidewall. So far, I'm very happy with both the tire and the decision on the size.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
6-speed manual, CWP, Xenon, Cft. Seats, Premium Pkg, Sirius, Privacy glass