View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Agreed. AFAIK, what we mere drivers call braking "friction" is mainly due to chemical bonds of bedded-brake-on-rotor against brake pad surface breaking and remaking themselves, with heat energy poured out as a result of the friction caused as the bonds break and remake themselves over and over again (covalent bonds IIRC???).

I don't quite understand how chemical bonds breaking and making themselves cause enough friction to stop a speeding BMW E39 - but IIRC, it's all explained in the rebedding PDFs at this thread.

Yup. When I researched how I could compare friction materials in use on my E39, I ran into these experimental testing results for Police-use brake pads, which, IIRC, concluded the single most important factor in stopping power for replacement pads was similar materials front and rear!

- Detailed report by the National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center titled:Replacement Brake Pad Performance Evaluation Project National Institute of Justice/Michigan State Police (dated March 2001)
- Summary report of the Equipment Performance Report: 2000 Evaluation of Replacement Brake Pads for Police Patrol Vehicles (dated February 2001)

So, given that the most important factor may be similar materials front and rear, and bearing in mind the OEM Jurid 187 (fronts) & OEM Textar T4071 (rear) combo, do the Axxis Deluxe crowds recommend Axxis Deluxe on both axles (or just the front which dusts the most in the OEM configuration?

Blue, I thought that the "slice" as you call it is cut in such a way as to balance the rotor. Not to check how much life left of the said rotor. I thought once the pad wears out (if it's OEM), the rotor is pretty much toast - as in "you cannot resurface it" due to thickness limitation / piston caliper movement
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby