View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
So what is the difference between Axxis Deluxe and Akebono Euro?
Anyone run them both, to make an informed comment?
I've used the OEM (Jurid), Axxis Deluxe and the Akebono Euro. I found the Jurids to have the best initial brake bite and a very linear feel on the brake pedal. A great brake pad but they were very dusty. If I was an aggressive or hard driver, I would probably stay with these pads. Since my hard driving days are long past, my priorities are to NOT have to clean my wheels on a weekly basis. I had the Axxis on my previous e39 and found they gave up some brake bite and did not have that same linear pedal feel but were nearly dustless. They were prone to the occasional squealing which was cured by rebedding the pads. I am actually running a mix of Akebonos on the front and Axxis Ultimate on the rear on my current e39. I don't think the mixing of pad types makes a big difference as many change out fronts well before they change the rears, resulting in a mismatched set. I found the Euros have a similar feel to the Axxis and are also nearly dust free with no squealing. I found that the difference in pedal feel is noticeable but does not really affect braking performance as you subconsciously adjust to the required pedal pressure required, similar to renting a car. In a direct comparison, I would highly doubt that someone could tell the difference between these two pads. In terms of braking distance, unless you measured this performance it is difficult to qualitatively differentiate between pads (which raises the question that shouldn't braking distance be equal, irrespective of pad type, with the use of ABS as you just need to lock them up (which every brake system should do)?). All things considered, both pads are similar and represent a reasonable near dustless alternative.

Last edited by Fudman; 04-28-2010 at 05:47 PM.