View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharris48 View Post
Update on my 09 X5 DEF experience.... I looked at my receipt and see that they charged me $43.54 for the DEF and charged me $57.50 for labor.......
Those charges are roughly the price of the small (approx. 1/2 gal) owner DIY approved, no-spill DEF container and 1 hour of a BMW tech's time to walk over to parts, gab with the parts guy for awhile, saunter back to your X5 and empty the container in the small tank -- IOW approx. 15min of real work to pour about a half gal of way-over-priced BMW brand DEF into your 35d

To put this in perspective, you (or your mechanically spouse) could have filled all 6.5 gals of DEF using Cummins brand DEF for under $50 parts + the trip to a Cummins shop and about an hour of your/his time.

Funf Dreisg

p.s. The 2.5 gal DEF container looks like a rectangular water jug, has a simple screw off lid (similar to a Cummins brand container) and would require a funnel and some patience to avoid spilling. OTOH the aprox. .5 gal owner DIY approved container looks like a big bowling pin and has a fancy nozzle/connector that is spill proof and overfill proof.

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 04-29-2010 at 06:24 PM.