View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I did occur to me that someone would think this was a prank but that just goes to show how impressive these numbers are. These are REAL. You can access them from BMWUSANews.com in the Press Kit that was probably for the New York International Auto Show at this link. It's on the colored bar on the right under "Press Kit Contents".

This is exactly what I'm seriously considering since the trade-offs in going diesel (filling issues, froze DEF, etc) could be outweighed by only a slightly higher operating cost. In Toronto, it's a little more difficult to justify since diesel is cheaper that premium gas by $0.15 to $0.25 per *litre*. What makes me wonder is why the USA EPA numbers are so far off of the Canadian/EU numbers. Is the EPA testing procedures biased towards gas?
The EPA underestimates diesel efficiency in its tests. Real world results of diesel engines are materially higher than the EPA sticker numbers. So the 2mpg difference isn't a real. I routinely get 23-24mpg in city driving for 35d. On highway, always +30mpg.