View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
They won't even do it at 90k?

Smolck on the E46 forum is right. Dealers are teh suck.

You can do this job yourself, as long as you know how to safely jack up and support a car (meaning you need 4 jack stands). The transmission uses plugs you can put a socket on, but the differential uses plugs that need a fairly sizable hex socket. And you might have to modify it. At least, this is what I have on my 2001.

If you tackle it, make sure you always remove the fill plug first. Nothing worse than removing the drain plug, only to find the fill plug seized.

For fluids, I'd go with Red Line MTL for the tranny and Redline 75W90 gear oil for the differential. You'll need a fluid pump to get the fluids in. Make sure the car is level, add fluid until it spills out the fill hole, plug it up, done. Each of the fills takes a bit over a liter, IIRC. Get a couple of liters each to be sure you have enough.

And don't go back to whatever dealer you went to.
Hey Doc, one last question, on the Redline site, they state the following, "from 1993 on, we recommend D4 ATF (yes, ATF in a manual transmission). The only late-model exception is the 2006 Xi trans, which takes D6 ATF." The apparently recommend this over the MTL. What do you think? Thanks.