BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Coolant System Pricing?

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  E39Freak 
#1 ·
Replaced Coolant tank which ruptured a couple of weeks back. Had issues this weekend with the car overheating. argg. Indie mech is stating that the raditor is cracked and it looks like the thermostat needs to be replaced as well. Been checking forums and it seems like it might be a good idea to replace the water pump as well. Just trying to get an idea on pricing.

raditor $399
Thermostate $104
WP $205

with labor roughly around $1300. are the component prices reasonable? is the total price reasonable?

I can drop the wp and deal with the rad/therm for $850 including labor. I know I may regret going this route later but until money starts going on trees I may not have a choice.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
When doing a cooling system overhaul, it's better to do the whole thing or else you will be swapping parts every 2 weeks.

My indy replaced my entire cooling system, all the hoses, thermostat, even replaced the fan clutch for $650 including labor, but that was about 18 months ago so $850 is pretty good.

#3 ·
That pricing is out of line--check with EAC tuning--they will treat you right ---total out lay for parts--would be the following--rad--water pump--expansion tank--belts hoses fan and new fan clutch--belt tensioners
all of that should run you in parts around 650---if you can turn some wrenches and follow directions
the labor would be free

#8 ·
The parts quotes you have are way high. Like double. A Behr radiator is like $120-$150, WP less than $100, Tstat cheap though I forget how much. Find a different indy--or buy the parts and just pay labor.

#9 ·
I agree with the above--prices are apparently "dealer prices." Jacked up too high. Get the part numbers, buy the parts yourself, and have a good independent shop do the work. It's not that hard. Also, the $1300 labor charge is robbery--just do it yourself and treat yourself to a Disney vacation! CN90 has a great writeup on this site--go to the 5-series DIY folder here for a link. If you have a weekend to spare, some basic tools, and a lot of patience, you can do this yourself. It really shouldn't take a whole weekend, but if you are unused to fiddling with cars it's best to take your time.

#11 ·
#14 · (Edited)
I haven't done the cooling system overhaul yet ...

Can somehow who has done it check my math at this repair-cost post?

Here's what I wrote for costs (diy, indy, stealer):

- cracked plastic radiator (replace entire system) ($700/$1400/$2800)

Would you agree or change the estimated cost numbers?

#15 ·
The entire thing: Parts & labor should run you from $650 to $750

I got mine done for $600 at my indy mechanic because he didn't charge me labor since we are family friends. With labor I would have probably paid around $700 ish.

If you lived closer I would have told you to go to him. He's based out of North Hollywood, CA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.