View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
This really sux. Two ways to fix this.

1. Remove the sump pan (PB Blaster the 21 bolts first) and then remove the remaining bolt segment from the sump pan with a screw extractor. A bit of work but this is not really that hard. You'll need a new gasket for the sump, maybe some new sump pan bolts and you may need a new torque wrench. Something is definitely wrong if you sheared the bolt.

2. You can try to remove the bolt segment with a screw extractor while leaving the sump pan installed. It depends how tight the bolt segment is stuck in the sump. Since the drill bit turns clockwise and the bolt goes into the sump clockwise, you may wind up pushing the bolt segment into the sump. If you do this, then try #1. If you cannot drill the proper hole, you may be able to use the existing hole in the bolt segment. Looking at the drain bolt, the tip is coned. That should mean that the portion remaining in the sump has the opposite inverse cone. A screw extractor might fit this hole but it does not look deep enough.

I know the feeling. I spent 5 hours trying to remove the front struts on my Explorer two weekends ago. I broke a 1/2" drive socket and an extension trying to loosen the control arm strut bolt. I finally gave up and spent 3 hours reassembling everything, 1/8 a turn at a time. It's always something... Good luck and please post on your final solution.

Last edited by Fudman; 05-27-2010 at 04:49 AM.