05-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
Join Date: Mar 2006
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
I just measured the bolt for you, the hollow part of the bolt is exactly 6mm.
1. Get a flat blade screw driver with its widest part to be around 6mm or 5.9 mm or so.
Gently push the screwdriver in, kind of wedge it against the hollow part (bevel the screw driver a bit).
Then twist the hollow part out (Counter-clockwise). It should come out nicely because there is very little friction on this thread.
2. Another option is the "sandwiching" technique.
- Go to a hardware store and buy a long (3") machine screw with thread diameter of 4 mm or so. There are plenty of these in the electrical section of any hardware store.
- The screw head is usually about 8mm in size, so file the head down to 5.5 mm or so. This is so it can slide through the hollow part of the bolt.
- Then move the machine screw side way a bit so it hooks onto the hollow bolt.
- Then apply a nut until it is tight down to sandwich the hollow bolt.
- Then using a pair of pliers to grab the machine screw and twist it CCW.
Last edited by cn90; 05-27-2010 at 09:21 AM.