View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Carrera View Post
given that this piece is hollow, not sure if this will work but I have used to with success in the past.

Get a solid M12 bolt that is far too long. Get some Super Glue Gel (or if you can find them the little Superglue Dots). Apply the glue to the end (not threads but the flat tip) of the bolt. Quickly screw it in until it contacts the remaining piece. Let it set for 2 minutes. Then gently unscrew the bolt with HOPEFULLY the piece glued to the end.

This will either A: remove the piece or B: go ahead and drive it into the pan. Sounds like you are in for a Oil pan drop regardless.

Buddy of mine had this sort of happen to him at a Quick Lube place. They sheared off the pan plug bolt about half way in.(Was likely misthreaded) Of course, they just unscrewed the remaining, cranked in a new bolt as far as it would go, and then hammered the bolt head until it was flush with the pan.

Yep, lawyers were involved. Yep, he got a new engine out of it. Yep, I did however initially have to stop him from killing the mgr. at the Quick Lube.

A good idea but in this case, it may not work, as the bolt segment stuck in the threaded drain hole probably has a concave indent in the bolt shaft (based on the convex bump on the bolt in the picture). This will make glueing the flat tip of a new bolt difficult. It may be better to use a smaller diameter bolt that will fit into the concave indent, if you plan to use glue. If you do go this route, try to find some epoxy putty to better engage the bolt segment. This will have less risk of dripping epoxy onto the bolt threads.

Just remember, whatever you do, evaluate the risk of the fix vs. the reward. The first thing in getting out of a hole is to stop digging. I can't count the times I have attempted to fix a problem only to make the matters worse. The DIYer's nightmare. Good luck!