View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Sorry to hear of all the troubles Bluebee. One piece of advice, never use a 1/2" torque wrench for such low settings, that is where the wrenches have their widest tolerance of error. Get a 3/8 or 1/4" wrench with like a 60 to 70lb/ft setting max (these are usually calibrated in inch/lbs rather than ft/lbs, and two other pieces of advice. Buy a high quality one, not a sears or harbor freight. I usually buy less expensive tools, but this is a critical safety device, so get the best you can reasonably afford. Store it properly, never drop it AND, every two or three years, get it tested and if necessary, calibrated (it will cost you $30 to $50). I have a Utica Tools/Cooper brand torque wrench, but Snap On and others are good as well.

I have never used torque wrenches for oil drain plugs, it is easy to feel the copper or aluminum crush washer "yield" as you apply torque, and once it gives, stop, the washer has done its job. This only applies when using a fresh, new washer. Never reuse them. Once they have taken a "set" or been crushed to seal once, they should not be reused.

Same with the oil filter cover, I use a rubber strap wrench and just gently cinch it up, and stop, it doesn't need lots of torque, and I have never had mine leak, ever.

I gave up on ramps back in high school, when a drove off one in my parents oldsmobile. I have used a jack and jack stands ever since.

Thanks for explaining how the broken off bolt kept going further in, I couldn't figure that out, and started to think you might have been using the wrong tool.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 05-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.