View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
it is only 45-degree turn
Ooops. I stand corrected. Thanks. It's only a 1/8ths turn, which isn't all that much. Do you think we should gauge, as we're turning, the squishing of the crush washer?

BTW, I still have a bunch of questions about a "proper" oil change (you know, the kind that are in your wonderful DIYs where nothing ever goes wrong!)

If we can pool our knowledge by answering the myriad of questions, that would be a benefit to us all.

For example, I found the STP paper flutes failed such that there was a visible tear clear through the paper filter at the rather wide seam.

Looking closely, I noticed the Mann and Fram don't have visible seams like the STP filter does. Everyone talks trash about the rubber in the STP (again the Fram and Mann don't have that rubber end cap) ... but nobody yet (to my knowledge) has mentioned to avoid any filter with a visible seam.

My question:
Do you agree with my (new) assessment that we should outright reject any filter that has a visible weak point such as can be seen below?

Also ...
The $18 Fram 8081 looks identical to the $6 Mann filter (afaik) - what do you guys think of the Fram (locally available in an emergency)?

(That oil filter, btw, cost me something like $18 ... so it proves, yet again, you never get what you pay for.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fram_vs_mann.jpg.jpg
Views:	3099
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	231941   Click image for larger version

Name:	stp_failed_here.jpg
Views:	2355
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	231943   Click image for larger version

Name:	stp_fails_miserably.jpg
Views:	9757
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	231944  

Last edited by bluebee; 05-28-2010 at 09:35 AM.