Thread: 2011 Tow Hitch
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 528i,ml430,c1500p.u.
The dealer installed a 2010 x5 hitch on my 2011 x5 and there was some trimming of the rear valance (both matt black panel & silver cover below). the silver panel is now two pieces and the silver horizontal band visible standing behind vehicle runs just above the midline of the rubber receiver cover. With the included rubber cover removed, the surface of the receiver opening projects only 1/4" beyond the horiz. silver band making the hitch almost flush with the fascia. If i keep this set-up, i will install a silver stripe of waste silver vinyl to a thinner pvc hitch cover to continue the line. the chain loops are recessed as well giving the 2010 hitch a very flush & minimal appearance. The elec. plug requires more clearance because its cover swings upward & must be opened greater than 90 degrees to insert the plug. i have about 90 degree swing on mine right now but not messing with it until i have to insert a plug. i'm just using a bike carrier now & BMW is installing the 2011 trim for me when it's available. fyi, the fascias can be easily cut cleanly with a sharp matt knife after the silver panel is removed from the black. the plastic is the same consistency/material as a rubbermaid tote. For those who must have a hitch now, this may be a viable route & may end up being a more aesthetic choice than what the BMW boys come up with. BMW assured me the 2010 hitch is identical and only the trim is to be modified.