06-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
I always wondered about the odometer. Especially since mine quit working (predictably) when I removed the ABS control module from the vehicle for a rebuild.
Originally Posted by 540iman
none of us knows for sure what happens if say you let it go for a year and rack up 15,000 miles on car and odometer stays where is is today.
As you said, nobody knows what happens if the "computers" get so screwed up that they begin to fail due to the conflicting information.
I do know that without the ABS control unit installed, the following score of items will occur:
- Brake/DSC/ABS trifecta solid yellow lights on (any combination possible when in the early stages)
- Service Engine Soon (SES) solid yellow light lit (on the cluster)
- No ABS
- No traction control
- No speedometer
- No odometer
- No tripmeter
- No cruise control
- Diagnostic trouble code DTC P0500
- No possibility of passing (California at least) smog inspections
- No automatic door locks (if set)
- No GPS (if you have navigation)
- No mileage calculations
- No fuel consumption calculations
- No range indications
- No speed-sensitive radio
- No speed-sensitive wipers
- Erratic fuel gauge (especially when near empty)
- Erratic transmission shifting (reputedly but I'm not sure why)
Last edited by bluebee; 06-20-2010 at 10:12 PM.