Thread: 535 v. 550
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
IMHO, the 550i is a bit of an anachronism. On the one hand, it is extremely capable - more capable than speed limits and road conditions allow (at least in the USA). To a lesser extent, the 535i is as well.

However, you may say that you can use this on a track. Which is also strange. Since a lot of things on the 550i go against it being a strong track tool - like it's weight, lack of LSD, electronic controls that iron out the predictability near, at and over the limit etc.

So if it's overly adept for public roads, and underwhelming on the track, what's left? The only thing left that I can think of is that it's a great extension of a person's success. Like traveling first class when coach will get you there just as quickly and safely. And what's wrong with that?
I notice the difference from say a 535i every time I have to merge onto "hazard highway" err I mean I95 Honestly, I got a chance to allow my car to strectch its legs on the turnpike (toll road) to Orlando a couple of weeks back - poor Cayenne GTS - trust me when I say - once you have had significant seat time there is no going back to the 6 unless its chipped. But even then I doubt you will reach 450lbs/ft unless its a Dinan Stage 3, Racing Dynamics, or Hamannn Tune, and then you know there is that warranty thing.

Im not knocking the 6 in any way. IMHO BMW has always made the best 6 cylinder engines. As a matter fact while attending my second Ultimate Drive Event this past Wednesday someone was testing a 335is - that freaking thing is as visceral as it gets! Whoever was test driving it dropped down a couple of gears to pass a slower car the exhaust note is incredible, and I'm sure the acceleration is impressive as well. I went looking to drive it when I we got back to the dealership. Unfortunately for me the guy that was driving it, was also the guy that was buying it . It only took the one drive for him to be sold. Based on what I saw heard, I am contemplating a 335is coupe or demo M3 (last of the N/A M3's I hear) in addition to my GT.

Chris, the Bay Area aint like it used to be. 25 years back we used to be able to run 101 South from SF to San Jose pretty hard. Now you probably can open up on 280 for a spell..but we all know that CHP still likes to camp out along that route

Here in SoFla people don't give a damn they will not allow you to merge, even the big rigs run a constant 80 on the interstate, for me, its equal parts safety and luxury. So the V8 for this heavy vehicle was my "only" choice.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 06-12-2010 at 10:37 AM.