View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
The 535i was the demo about 56k. The auto was in D. From just about any speed when I floored it, it seemed like the pedal was down a sec or less before the afterburners kick in. It was noticeable enough that I repeated a 60-80 or 90 passing scenario a few times and got the same thing. I don't get anything like that with my RL, or when I drove the M37x. Not sure if it actually is turbo lag, or that there are so many gears to jump down from cruising in 8th to passing in 3 or 4. It almost seems like the drive by wire is gauging how far down the pedal is before the computers figure out what gear to go to etc. When I switch over to manual mode the lag seemed much less, and downshifts from 7 to 4 seemed very quick. Not sure if there is a sport mode for the tranny while in D or how to access it since I am not a BMW guy (yet). In the M37 just rotate the big knob on the center stack to sport and the tranny shift points and throttle inputs all quicken up. I am curious if others notice the lag too, maybe it is from the single turbo vs dual, but according to BMW articles the single turbo is much quicker to spool and has virtually no lag
The sport mode on my 650i for the transmission is engaged simply by moving the gearshift lever to the left. If you want to accelerate rapidly you can either just hit the accelerator in sport mode or downshift simultaneously. Just pushing down on the accelerator in D is quite slow. It does take a little while to learn how to drive it.

But you can ask the hot rodding guy in the AWD RL I taught a lesson to on the bridge over the Allegheny River last Fall. See, I knew his car weighed around 4100 lbs and had around 305hp and my car weighed 3800 lbs and had 360 hp. I downshifted to 3rd and nailed it. He tried to catch me and in a few seconds I was about 200 yards in front of him. I stongly suggest that one think twice before picking on an 8 cylinder BMW. You can also ask that guy in the Acura RSX type R on interstate 79 who was tailgaiting me at 70mph.

But my engine is nothing compared to the F10 550i 4.4 liter turbo. The only engines in the world better than BMW engines are Ferrari and Lambos.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 06-16-2010 at 05:41 AM.