View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 Alpine White E39 528i
Blue,

Great job, but that list can be very confusing when someone has the A4S 270R transmission like I do.

Going by the color of the sticker in my case is not enough as I had a Green sticker that specifically said Dexron III only.

I already knew this from researching, but just thought people should know. Funny thing is, according to that list, the A4S 270/310R which is practically the same transmission, is listed under both green and black stickers....but should only take Dexron III ATF

I just did my transmission fluid/filter and differential change at 80k. I went with Fuchs Ultra performance merc/dex ATF from Germany as recommended by my Indy, although I pre purchased the Mobile 1 synthetic ATF. My Indy was not comfortable putting it in and mixing with the 2 quarts or so fluid that did not come out. After further research, I would have probably been ok using the Mobile 1 ATF, but to play it safe, only if we were able to get the remaining 2 quarts out and avoid any cross contamination. I will consider this again in another 30k or so.

As far as the differential, I went with Royal Purple Gearmax 75w-90 GL-5 differential fluid. Much thicker than what came out. I have only heard good things from people that have used it and everything definately feels smoother after doing all this.

I cannot believe the bashing Royal Purple gets on that BITOG site, but the bashing is primarily for the engine oil and trans oil and I have not used it for either of those applications, so I cannot comment on that. As far as the differential fluid, I have only heard, and experienced positives, as it seems to be one of the top choices for many in differential fluids with much more positive feedback and very little negative feedback, not only from blogs, but from real world experience for many years.

1998 528iA MFD Date: 6/1998
Lets go Islanders!!!!

Last edited by paferri; 06-19-2010 at 06:26 AM.