View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Timing is everything

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanman View Post
I have a 2005 545i, I think you're talking about the same issue. I went to my dealership and they quoted me $700 for a programming fix since programming isn't covered under CPO warranty. I declined it and reported the issue to the NHTSA. The service director called me back and offered to cover it under a "goodwill" warranty since this is a known issue. The SIB below is for the 545 model.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 17.01(Target data Status E060-05-06-500).

Vehicles equipped with 6HP26 up to 4/05, customer complains of harsh downshift. Refer to SI B24 03 05.

Here is the SIB240305 bulletin:

SUBJECT
Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL
E60 (545i); E63/64 645(Ci/Cic) with 6HP26 up to 04/05

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

An excessively harsh 2-1 downshift when decelerating to a stop, or

Transmission "bangs" into gear when accelerating from a full or a "rolling" stop (vehicle did not come to a complete stop).

CAUSE
EGS software.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram/recode complete vehicle using SSS with CIP on-line update 17.01, or higher.

Important:

Transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and trans shifter must be placed in P position prior to the start of CIP programming.
First off, thank you.

It's amazing that this isn't covered under CPO warranty, that you have to plead for a 'goodwill' case in order to have the software upgraded. Especially since they released this TSB for the same problem.

My appointment is for tomorrow morning. I'm not going to authorize them to do anything other than test drive the vehicle. If they want to charge me for the upgrade, I will go the same route you did. Any advice on that?

Quote:
SI B 24 03 09
Automatic Transmission April 2009
Technical Service

SUBJECT
550i and 650i with N62TU and 6HP26 - Various Drivability Complaints

MODEL
E60, 550iA produced from 09/05 up to 02/07

E63, E64; 650i produced from 09/05 up to 09/07

SITUATION
The customer may complain about one or a combination of the following situations, listed below:

Intermittent harsh 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift (jolt) when coming to a stop with light brake application.

Jolts and/or jerks felt when reaccelerating after coasting.

Judder when gently accelerating (most noticeable at an engine speed below 2,000 RPM).

CAUSE
DME and EGS software calibration

SOLUTION
Program the vehicle with ISTA/P 2.33.0 or later, using the path "Conversion" and "Downshift behavior". After this modification, the k-word "HADS" will be added to the Vehicle Order.

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.

For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to CenterNet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming".

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Certified Pre-Owned Program.

Defect Code:
24 00 33 98 00