View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
I recently posted this on Xoutpost. But since this topic has come up on this forum again...

"I picked up our 35d today after it's first warranty Oil/DEF service at 11,000 miles.

Despite the DEF angst in this and other threads, we have never had a single problem with DEF. No DEF warnings, no need to add DEF prior to a conditions based oil service, NOTHING.

If I didn't know so much about the reported DEF issues, I might have been curious about the service ticket entry...

"3 83-19-0-440-158 DIESEL EXHAUST FLUID WARRANTY"

which anyone who has read this thread now knows means that 3 - 2.5 gal containers of DEF were 'used' to fill the two DEF tanks which together hold about 6.5 gals. of DEF -- under Warranty.

People this is how it is supposed to work. Your 35d emails your dealer that it needs an Oil Service. And your dealer changes the Oil/Filter etc. and fills the DEF tanks with enough DEF to last till your next oil change, all under warranty. Meanwhile you enjoy driving your 35d and don't worry your pretty little head about the details of owning a diesel "

Note: three 2.5 gals containers (83-19-0-440-158) is 1 gallon more than needed to fill both tanks. Some 35d owners have posted that their paper work only listed two 2.5 gal containers. 5 gals is almost certainly not enough DEF to get a 35d to its next conditions based oil service covered by the warranty. So be sure to check your paper work for the DEF line item PRIOR to signing anything.

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 06-28-2010 at 02:45 PM.