View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Great thread on parts selection. Parts selection can be a tough decision for e39 owners. Especially since we have to replace so many parts!! How much better is "the best" and is it worth the extra cost. And with the e39, we have the good fortune to have a multitude of aftermarket choices (which is really a good thing) on almost every part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Because stock BMW cooling parts are world renown for their quality. Blubeee do yourself a favor and get the EMP/Stewart HP
+1, Good Advice based on solid rationale!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
what's killing me is I can't make decisions easily. I need overwhelming advice either way
FWIW, here's how I prioritize my decision making when it comes to replacement parts for my e39:
1. If the part failure can kill my car (e.g. cooling system), it gets the best parts $$ can buy.
2. If the part failure means I have to redo the job later (e.g. thrust arm bushings), I'll strongly consider the better part depending on the extra cost & complexity of the job to avoid redoing it.
3. If the part means higher vehicle performance (e.g. shocks, tires, etc.), I'll consider it but in most cases will probably pass as I don't drive that fast anymore.

Others probably put performance at the top of the list but to each his own. For me, getting there is more important to me than getting there faster.