View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53K View Post
I just put in an order for 35D in Platinum Gray, Cinnamon Brown, and Light Poplar with following options.

Premium package
Heat front seats
iPod and USB adapter
Running boards
Space saver tire
Roof rails

I am a bit unsure about the wood trim and not opting for premium sound.
First with the wood trim, I went with Light Poplar thinking that it add better contrast with Cinnamon Brown and adds warmth than Dark Bamboo. I haven't seen Light Poplar in X5 in person and am a bit worried that it will look too light and out of place against Cinnamon Brown. Has anyone seen CB/LP combo in person? Any opinions?
As for the premium sound, I have seen a recent post regarding how inadequate the base system is and that premium sound is a must option. Can X5 owners with base sound system provide feedback? I listen to iPod all the time and appreciate good sound, but don't consider myself as audiophile and am willing to save $1400 if the base system is adequate for mp3 listening of rock and pop. I appreciate your input in advance.

You'll appreciate the system vs. the 4 speaker/2 sub base system. 16 speakers vs. 6 is a difference. A huge one. You also get satellite radio in the premium sound. If you're listening to an iPod, the difference will be even greater. There are numerous complaints on the 2010 system and 2011 system in the X5d - there aren't any tweeters at all - there are 4 midrange speakers, 1 in each door, to provide the sound. Grossly inadequate, and muddy. Crank it and you'll likely cringe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyg1 View Post
I opted for black with bamboo.. I really liked the modern feel of the bamboo texture.

I thought about the walnut and poplar, but couldn't get over how the textures looked really old school... reminded me of the 70's for some reason.
Walnut reminds me of the 70's BAD. Dark Bamboo/Cinnamon was my choice. If I could get piano black or gray poplar, I would pay extra for it. Seriously. I want something subtle, that DOESN'T stand out like the stripe on a skunk's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringe View Post
Perfectly happy with the base audio.

2011 X5 Premium 35i Deep Sea Blue / Beige
2004 Z4 3.0i Black / Beige
The X5d has a different base system that the 35i premium. 4 speakers and 2 subs for the X5d vs 10 speakers (tweeters) and more power for the 35i premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Unless you are the .01 percent of the population that can tell the difference between let's say a Bose system vs a Sony system purely by listening, the base system is more than fine. I have no complaints about my base system as I don't need Dolby surround, THx, pro logic, equalizer, etc. etc. each time I turn on the radio. Light wood is ugly IMHO, get darker wood for the more classy timeless look.
Again, the base system in the X5d is 6 speakers vs. the 35i's 10 speakers (extra tweeters/extra power).

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)

Last edited by 335i; 07-15-2010 at 08:49 AM.