View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
The sound is sent through the 3.5mm jack, but it is not amplified - it does mean that it is passing through another D/A conversion, but I think you'll find that you're going to hear more flaws with your source than with that extra D/A conversion.

It's been like this for years - my '07 335i works the same way - I hear very, very little degradation vs. a straight USB memory stick. BMW is changing this come September - there's a work around if you use the iPod as a hard disk and boot from there.. but if you don't pay the $400, you don't get a USB port you can play music from at all...
More accurately.... if you don't pay the $400, you don't get a USB port to control music from at all.

I agree that the $400 iPod/USB option probably improves the sound quality (less analog amplification) but it really is more about controlling an iPod (or iPod app) via the iDrive. For some people controlling their iPod is a very big deal. All I'm trying to do is make sure folks in the process of deciding on X5 options, understand what the $400 iPod/USB option actually does and does not do when used with an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Funf Dresig