View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZZ View Post
My car is on order so, I went to the dealer today and played with a car on the lot that had the ipod option. I can confirm that if you plug your ipod into the USB port USING THE USB CABLE THAT COMES WITH YOUR IPOD you can control AND PLAY MUSIC without using the analog connection......
I promise you this does NOT work with our iPhone 3Gs on our '09 X5 35d WITH the $400 iPod/USB option. I've tried it several times, including just a few minutes ago to be absolutely sure. Every time the iDrive puts up a warning "The connected USB device is not supported." and makes the USB option un-selectable. OTOH our X5 happily plays the exact same music off of a USB memory stick plugged into that same USB port.

Using the iPhone's sync cable plugged into the USB port in our center console will charge the iPhone and let us use all the apps BUT it does NOT provide ANY audio to the X5 sound system. IOW it provides the exact same functionality of plugging the same cable into a $30 USB 12V adapter. YMMV in later models.

I strongly advise anyone ordering an X5 to test their exact iPod/iPhone with their own music library, apps etc. with an X5 on the dealer's lot to be sure that what they are ordering will do what they expect.

Funf Dreisig

FWIW we have NEVER purchased a single tune from the iTunes store. ALL of the music on our iPhone (and USB memory stick) is ripped from CDs we own -- i.e. no DRM and no excuses.

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 07-16-2010 at 09:45 PM.