View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Judging by the sales ox X5 35d, there is definitely a market and demand for diesel SAV. Premium gas and diesel cost about the same in Phoenix area, and diesels offer 30% better mpg than gas equivalents. Combine that with the eco credit and fed tax incentives, it's why buying a diesel makes economical sense. Not to forget low RPM torque, perfectly suited to 7-8 speed automatic transmissions in heavier cars like the X's.
That's because the X5 xDrive35d is priced substantially below the 4.8i, nearly $7k. I still see many more 6-cylinder petrol versions than the diesel, ignoring earlier models like the 2007-2008. In addition, BMW NA has been subsidising the diesel with its eco-credit. The 335d is hardly a sales success.

The X1 xDrive23d is priced around 2100 below the xDrive28i and unless the 25i version is hideously slow (it isn't), it will be harder to justify a price premium of the diesel over a 25i. Plus, it will be tempting to pony up just a bit more for the 28i. So unless Americans stop thinking of diesels as a compromise, most folks will stick with a petrol because it's just what the market is used to.

Diesel is actually cheaper than premium fuel in NC and VA so there's no reason not to buy one. But most car buyers just aren't informed enough to know, or care.