View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Think Solar

Mein Auto: 2008 X3; 2007 650i conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post

You and I probably don't fit into the typical American demographic car buyer; Americans as a market group still cannot appreciate paying extra for small vehicles and don't drive their vehicles on winding mountain roads. They just need something to get them to-from point A and B, on the interstate and in the city. They don't want a manual gearbox, they don't care for sport suspension, they just want a transportation appliance.
Yes, I think your point is generally true. I guess my feeling is this: Even if the market for the X1 in the U.S. is relatively small, it's likely to be larger than it would have been had the model debuted just a few years ago.

Admittedly, I don't have much data to back up my intuition on this, but I just think upscale efficiency is now more of a status symbol than it was before. On my block, people actively diss the Hummer owner as an out-of-touch dinosaur. My neighbor and I used to talk about the latest M cars, but we tend now to be more interested in the specs of the latest Tesla roadster. In general, it seems there are less people nterested in showing off the size/horsepower of their vehicles, and more that would rather compete with the Joneses on who is "more green"--or, at least less likely to be seen filling up an Escalade at a BP station.

MY2008 X3 3.0si |Monaco Blue| Sand | Sport | Prem | NAV | Auto | Euro Delivery 9/21/07

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)

Last edited by Zeke77; 07-29-2010 at 11:41 AM.