View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
That's because the X5 xDrive35d is priced substantially below the 4.8i, nearly $7k. I still see many more 6-cylinder petrol versions than the diesel, ignoring earlier models like the 2007-2008. In addition, BMW NA has been subsidising the diesel with its eco-credit. The 335d is hardly a sales success.

The X1 xDrive23d is priced around 2100 below the xDrive28i and unless the 25i version is hideously slow (it isn't), it will be harder to justify a price premium of the diesel over a 25i. Plus, it will be tempting to pony up just a bit more for the 28i. So unless Americans stop thinking of diesels as a compromise, most folks will stick with a petrol because it's just what the market is used to.

Diesel is actually cheaper than premium fuel in NC and VA so there's no reason not to buy one. But most car buyers just aren't informed enough to know, or care.
Regardless what you see on the street, 335d and X5d has been outselling their gas counterparts. Data: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=diesel+sales . Eco credit and fed tax credit definitely help with increased sales, but with diesel and premium at par, it now makes economic sense to buy diesel. Off course superior torque in diesel doesn't

Regardless, diesels will remain niche market, and those who want the benefits of it will get it.