View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
You need to do more than just change the fluid

There is a transmission kit that you need to get to do the job right. And, you need to drop the pan, replacing both the filter and gasket as well as the bolts that come with the kit. This also means you need to know the torque specs on the pan bolts and the proper pattern to re0tighten them in.

Also, there is a tag on the tranny that will indicate the proper fluid to use. According to my indy he always checks this tag prior to ordering fluids as BMW has been known to change fluid specs and/or transmissions mid model.

If you are intent on just swapping fluid PLEASE locate this tag and verify you have the right fluid. Otherwise you could be doing a $6000 fluid change in the long run if you know what I mean.

I took mine to an independent shop and had front and rear diffs, transfer case and transmission fluids changed for a few hundred bucks and feel confident that it was done right and proper fluids were used. Something to think about.

Read this article, particularly the last part- http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-tech-tip...e-high-mileage