View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0d
Thanks for the assistance. Completed this job but it was more difficult that expected. My X3 used a Shell product. The dealer would only sell me the oil in bulk of 20L whilst I only needed 3.5 litres. The oil is PENTOSIN ATF Auto Transmission Fluid Equivalent to: Shell M-1375.4. Managed to get a local independent BMW shop that would sell small amounts of the oil. This synthetic oil is the same as used by VW and Audi. The main problem I had was filling the transmission. The drain plug hole on the X3 is small and access is very restricted. I bought a pump device from an Auto store but I had to modify this with longer plastic hose 1.5m long and make up a 10mm screw adapter fitting so that I could attached the hose without the transmission fluid spilling everywhere. There is a sort of back pressure which requires a lot of hand pressure to force the fluid into the transmission. I asked the independent BMW mechanic how he did it and they use a pressurised garden spray dispenser with a hook on it to fill the transmission. I think this is a better method as the hand pump was hard work. Anyway job done