View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: E46 328i
My story - The climate control in my 2000 328i started acting up about 3 weeks ago. As any of you know that it has happened to, it is extremely annoying especially in the middle of summer. A brief google search confirmed that blower motor resistor was indeed the problem. I read some of the DIYs on how to replace it, but I am really bad at these sorts of things, so I didn't think I could handle the repair. It seems that in a 5 series this is a much easier procedure. So I contacted some local places to inquire about replacement cost. An independant BMW mechanic wanted $260 to do the repair, and dealer wanted $400+. So, was about to schedule an appointment when I found this thread. The pictures are so much clearer than the other DIY that I found, and it inspired me to give it a try. Ordered the part from Eeuroparts as OP suggested. Part arrived in 2-3 days. Figured I would get started tonight and see how far I could get. Bottom line - I was able to complete the entire repair in about 45 minutes. THANK YOU OP!!! Again, if I can do it, it can be done by almost anyone. The 2 parts I had a bit of trouble with were 1) Removing the floorboard trim piece - hard to get the final clip off - had to push really hard 2) Getting the FSU out of the socket - it was really hard to get it unclipped, but once I did I was able to wiggle it out - it was much easier to get the new one in.

A few of my own thoughts:
1) My FSU did have 2 screws in it, despite many reports that the factory doesn't put the screws in. Odd, but it wasn't hard to remove them.
2) A magnetized T20 definitely helps
3) I was able to kneel on the ground outside the car looking in to do the replacement - didn't seem too hard to do it that way
4) My best tip - I used an adjustable headlight to see what I was doing rather than a flashlight. It made it really easy to see what I was doing.

Many thanks OP!

Last edited by TDS1; 08-06-2010 at 08:36 PM.