Thread: 2011 Tow Hitch
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by skramarczuk View Post
Did not use a brake controller, as the trailer does not have electric brakes, being under 3000 lbs. All lights worked well. My dealer is Motoworks BMW in Bloomington, Mn. They had some difficulty with the software install, and getting the lights to work properly. Told me they had to link the car's computer up via Internet to have an engineer help install it remotely.

Everything in working order, though, and I was impressed by it's towing abilities: acceleration, braking, mpg, etc.
Even though you are only towing under 3000 lbs., controlled brakes would make your towing safer. I used to tow about 3500 lbs. with a Saab 9-5 turbo (MGB on Trailex 890# open trailer with electric brakes.) It towed like there was nothing back there. Then I switched to an X3 with MGB/Alfa/Turner in enclosed ATC trailer. Never did pull well & got worse over the years. With X3 I had to jury rig a switch to send signal to controller. I hope I don't have to do same with X5.

Yesterday I received email from BMW NA friend who is having Accessory Engineering contact my dealer. Let's see what happens. And, I have yet to hear back from email to BMW DE.

1997 Porsche Targa ex. Laguna Beach
2011 X5d - traded for 2009 Maserati GranTurismo
2010 E-350 - still looks like new
1960 Giulietta Spider - sold to Montreal
1959 Turner Mk1 30/206 -Sold back to UK